Sitao, Snap Bean,Bush Sitao, Cowpea
- Prepare the land thoroughly by plowing and harrowing twice.
- Mix decomposed animal manure or compost at 1.0 kg/linear meter to improve soil structure and condition.
- Make furrows 1.0 to 1.5 meter apart.
- Application of lime one month before transplanting is recommended at a rate of 3-5 tons/ha if soil pH is below 5.5.
- Sow one to two seeds at a distance of 30 cm between hills and 100-120 cm between rows.
- Cover the seeds with well pulverized soil.
- Soil moisture must be good at solving but not too wet.
Irrigation and Drainage
- During dry months weekly irrigation is recommended to keep the soil moisture at ideal level.
- The soil must be moist at all times but water lagging must be avoided. Allow excess water to drain form the field immediately.
The key to a bountiful harvest is balanced fertilization. Please follow the recommended fertilizers for sitao.
Fertilizer guidelines for sitao*
|Broadcast during land preparation||Compost||3-5 tons/hectare|
|Basal application during sowing||Complete||30 grams/plant|
|Side dress at 21 days after sowing||Urea||15 grams/plant|
|Side dress at 35 days after sowing||Complete||20 grams/plant|
|Side dress at 49 days after sowing||Complete||20 grams/plant|
- Trellis should be erected after emergence or just before the vines reach 30 cm length.
- Any system of trellising with the use of available materials can be adopted.
- Weeds cause considerably yield loss if not controlled early in the season.
- Control includes light cultivation, spot hand weeding, tillage, and mulching.
- Usually green pods ready for harvest about 7-10 days after flowering.
- Mariposa is ready to harvest 45 to 50 days after sowing. Harvest every 2-4 days.
- Sort the pods according to market standards and pack neatly in a polyethylene bag before transporting to the market.